The American Italian Association, (AIA), was formed by immigrants and descendants of Italy, and originated in Baton Rouge in 1978 with only 30 members. The original goals of the AIA were to continue their family lineage, promote education, and to become involved in the Greater Baton Rouge area community.
Our Members include persons of direct or indirect Italian Heritage, or persons interested in promoting the Heritage. We proudly pass on the legacy of the origin of our Ancestors’ Birth Place, continue to improve the Greater Baton Rouge community for its residents, support and donate to worthy causes, and promote education. A few of our activities are:
- Annual scholarship to recipient(s) attending an accredited college.
- Raise money for the McMains Children’s Developmental Center.
- Sponsor of the annual Baton Rouge Columbus Day Festa.
- Sponsor of the annual Italian American Athletic Banquet in New Orleans.
- Participate in bocce ball tournaments with the American Italian Federation.
- Assist the Grandsons of Italy with their annual Saint Joseph Altar.
- Support the American Italian Renaissance Foundation, Sports Hall of Fame,
and American Italian Museum & Research Library in New Orleans.
Dr. Phillip Cancilleri, President
- Nickie Dimaio, Treasurer
- Maralena Murphy, Corporate Secretary